Today is my first day back at home since moving down to Fort Myers. It’s a weird feeling for me because I was just getting so used to everything down there. But now being home I can go to my favorite place which is this little park by my house. I usually go there to just think when I have something on my mind that’s bothering me or to swing on the swings. Next to it there’s a forest and railroad tracks that I stare out at. As I sit on the swings after it just poured down rain looking out at the forest I see raindrops still dripping from the leaves, squirrels scurrying up and down the trees, and not one bird in sight. It smells like there’s no life in the air. It’s very humid out and still overcast as if it’s about to rain again. The railroad tracks are old, rusty and broken. They haven’t been used in years. There are weeds growing that are up to my knees in between the tracks. It’s sad looking at it now because about 4 years ago they were up and going. I used to go out to the tracks when a train would go by and the conductor would throw lollipops out at me. It’s so crazy to me how little places like this can go from being so beautiful to nothing in a matter of only a couple years.
Friday, July 2, 2010
Observing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Jordan!
ReplyDeleteThere's a little area like that in my neighborhood as well, it's like a little park area with a lake near it and a ditch nearby. It didn't have the railroad tracks tho, there's not too many trains about in the Orlando region. I totally get what you mean though when something that is so beautiful can just morph into nothing. I never understood how that worked. It's funny how like something can be so commonly used just disapears and looks like it's been sitting there for thousands of years. I'm glad you found a spot that you can go to for anything, like an escape. I think everyone should have one because it really does help if you have a place to reflect and get away from anything happening. I liked reading your posts and I'll see you soon :)
oh hey jordan lol I felt the same way when i went home for fourth of July. It actully felt good to come back here. Those railroad tracks sound pretty intense. That would be pretty cool to be that close to a train like that. Oh yea btw your earings did match lol I was just messing around with you.
ReplyDeleteHey Jordan,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! Could this be a possible topic for your sanctuary paper? When the train would pass by the park, would you be able to hear it go by from your house? I think it's really cool how you described the park and the railroad tracks, I can imagine everything perfectly. It's great that you had a place really close by to go to when you need to "get away".
Back in Chicago where I am originally from, I had a park by my house and it used to be overrun by gangs. I think your local park is a great place to go in a time that is bothering you. My park did not have railroad tracks near it, but that was nice of the conductor to give out candy. Looking at leaves with rain drops are indeed fascinating to look at. Perhaps your park can be renovated one day or maybe the trains can start going again. Either way sounds like your park was a nice place to sit and think.
ReplyDeleteHey Jordan,
ReplyDeleteThis place that you are describing in your neighborhood sounds very creepy. This place that relaxes you is a polar opposite to mine. Where I like to go and sit is full of life. You can see people birds fish and alligators, all in the same spot. I did not realize that not everyone enjoys to sit in relax in the same kind of areas I do. Even though this place that you described sounds creepy it also sounds very interesting to me.